General EU requirements
The general EU requirement for commercial import must be complied with.
Trade to Denmark from other EU Member States and Norway must comply with Directive 90/425/EEC, and the consignment must be registered in the TRACES system.
Import to Denmark from non-EU countries must comply with Directive 91/496/EEC. The consignment must enter EU via an approved Border Inspection Post (BIP) approved for live animals.
General Danish requirements
For commercial trade or import of pet animals that are to be sold or not unaccompanied by the owner, it is a requirement that the Danish importer, who is the consignee of the consignment, is registered with the Regional Veterinary and Food Administration.
When checks reveal that consignments do not meet the EU and Danish requirements
If checks and controls carried out by the competent Danish authorities (customs, police or the veterinary authorities) reveals that the consignment does not meet the general and specific requirements of the EU and Danish legislation, the person responsible for the consignment (transporter or importer) may receive a fine, and the competent authority will decide to use one of the following possibilities:
- Return the animals to the country of origin, which requires accept of the competent authority of this country and all transit countries.
- Isolate the animals in official quarantine for the time necessary for them to meet the relevant requirements during which the animals can be subdued to various testing found to be relevant for the specific animal species at the expense of the person responsible for the consignment, or
- as a last resort, where their return or isolation in quarantine cannot be envisaged, the animals are put down (euthanized) without financial compensation.
Please see the information listed under the relevant species.
If you are a citizen in Denmark
- and have further questions on commercial trade/import of pet animals, please contact your local Veterinary Control Office
of the area you live in.If you are exporting pet animals to Denmark, commercially
- and have further questions, please contact the local Veterinary Control Office
of the area you are exporting the animals to:Contact information of the Border Inspection Posts in Denmark:
Border Inspection Post, Kastrup at Copenhagen Airport
Border Inspection Post, Billund at Billund Airport
Phone: +45 72 27 69 00
Fax: +45 72 27 56 03